This topic holds the terms beginning with "A" and is included in the GlossaryOfTerms
- Access Anticipation Method
- Tries to foresee the I/O access characteristics of the application based on programmer’s hints, anticipated knowledge or reaction to identified behavior.
- Accounting (grid accounting)
- The OSG accounting system, called Gratia, tracks VO members' resource usage and presents that information in a consistent Grid-wide view, focusing in particular on CPU and Disk Storage utilization.
- Administrative Domain
- One or more Resource Groups run under a single set of Policies; and, typically, run by a single team.
- A software component in OSG that operates on behalf of a User or Resource Owner or another Agent.
- A collaboration of small application communities that develops systems and runs on the persistent grid infrastructure.
- With respect to grid computing in general, "application" refers to a "layer" of grid components (above infrastructure and resources). An application is a name used to identify a set of software that will execute computational jobs, manage data (access, store, read...) and has many attributes. Any application when invoked (executed) includes information that allows tracing back to the individual who is responsible for the execution.
- Application administrator
- A person designated by a VO who is charged with making sure that a particular application works on the participating grid resources.
- Application community
- Providers of a particular end-to-end application and/or system that runs on the persistent grid infrastructure. Smaller application communities may collaborate as Alliances in developing systems and running them on the grid. These organizations will contribute by providing application requirements and interfaces to the grid services. An application community may consist of or span multiple VOs or VO groups.
- Application layer
- Final of five layers to support grid applications. It includes all application-specific services, including Request Interpretation and part of Request Management.
- Application Level Method
- Organizes the mappings of the application’s main memory objects to respective disk objects to make disk accesses more efficient by exploiting data locality.
- Application middleware
- Application Middleware is application-specific middleware which has some embedded capabilities and interfaces that are not general, e.g., information providers. This middleware depends on grid-wide middleware.
- Application Programming Interface
- An Application Programming Interface (API) is a particular set of rules and specifications that a software program can follow to access and make use of the services and resources provided by another particular software program that implements that API. It serves as an interface between different software programs and facilitates their interaction, similar to the way the user interface facilitates interaction between humans and computers.
- Architectural Roadmap towards Distributed Analysis (ARDA) is a project within LCG that seeks to coordinate the prototyping of distributed analysis systems for the LHC experiments. See http://lcg.web.cern.ch/LCG/activities/arda/arda.html.
- Auditing (grid auditing)
- Grid auditing in OSG relates to resolving claims of challenged authentication and exposed risk on grid services which accept delegated credentials. The auditing system will use information from the accounting system and link it to information from other sources to allow full tracking and analysis of the actions and events related to a user's resource usage.
- Acceptable Use Policy. For example, see OSG User Acceptable Use Policy.
- 11 Feb 2011
Topic revision: r27 - 12 Oct 2016 - 15:10:17 - KyleGross