Exporting a Certificate from Microsoft IE
When you retrieved your signed personal certificate from the DOEGrids CA website it was placed into a database of certificates your browser keeps. The associated private key was also put into the database at the time you requested your certificate.
In order to use your certificate with Globus and you must export your certificate and private key from your browser and convert them to the necessary forms required by the Globus GSI tools. To do so follow these instructions:
Note for Microsoft IE users: Microsoft Hotfix Q323172 or equivalent is required to use IE to request and export your certificate. See Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-048 for details.
- From the menu choose Tools -> Internet Options.
- Select the Content tab.
- In the Certificates section click on the Certificates button.
- Click on the Personal tab and select your DOEGrids certificate. Click the Export button to open the Certificate Export Wizard. Click Next to continue.
- Choose to export the private key and then click Next.
- Choose the PKCS format for the export. Do NOT choose to include all certificates in the certification path. DO choose to enable strong encryption. Do NOT choose to delete the private key. Click Next.
- IE will prompt you for a new pass phrase that will be used to encrypt and protect the exported file containing both your certificate and key. Enter your choice of pass phrase and again for verification.
- IE will prompt you to choose a filename and location for the exported file containing both your certificate and private key and encrypted using the pass phrase you chose. Enter a filename and path. It is customary for the file to have a .pfx extension. Click Next.
- Click Finish to export your certificate and key into the file.
- 27 Sep 2007
Topic revision: r1 - 27 Sep 2007 - 14:20:31 - KyleGross